Tuesday, February 22, 2011

You never forget your first time

My little girl is now going to be four. I wrote this and never posted it because I, like most women I know, have super awesome self esteem and decided it probably wasn't good enough... but now I'm older and wiser and less picky. So here it is. 

It's my daughters first birthday soon (yay me for keeping her alive this long), so I'm working on birthday cake ideas. She's never had cake or any kind of sweets before. I was considering some kind of "natural", organic, carrot cake. Cream cheese frosting? Wheat flour? But then I saw a how to for a rainbow cake, and I fell in love. It will be the first time she experiences cake, and I want it to blow her tiny mind. So today I made this...


I'm VERY proud of it. It reminds me of the scene in the peter pan film "hook" when Robin Williams sees the food the lost boys are pretending to eat. Multi-coloured gloriousness. Probably because I ate about half of the cake batter myself... If I barf, I'll barf rainbows.  


Anyway here's my own rainbow cake how to. 
You will need:

  • white cake batter
  • gel food colours
  • a steady hand
  • bowls, spoons etcetera etcetera

1.) Make a bunch of cake batter, the paler the better, so replacing butter with oil and eggs with just egg whites is a good choice. I'm sure you'll find a good recipe lying around. 
2.) Split the cake batter into as many bowls as you have coloured food gels, I had four but I combined the blue and pink to make the purple, so five bowls in total. 
3.) Add said gel to said batter
4.) Pour your first colour into your pre-greased cake tin (clever you for greasing your tin ;) Let it settle. 
5.) Pour the next colour into the middle of the first colour, easy does it, you want it to make nice circles. 
Like so:


6.) Do step 5 with your next colour and so on and so forth until all your colours are in the tin and out of the bowls




7.) Eat left over cake batter, salmonella be dammed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment